Cod tacos with smoky coleslaw
For the smoky coleslaw
- 1½ tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 large or 2 small garlic cloves, crushed
- 225g mayonnaise
- 2½ tsp chipotle chilli paste
- juice of 1 lime (around 2 tbsp), plus lime wedges to serve
- 1 red onion
- ½ red (or green) cabbage
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- ½ x 31g pack coriander, leaves only
For the fish
- 100g plain flour
- 2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 3 large eggs
- 125g panko breadcrumbs, or other dried breadcrumbs
- 500g packs skinless and boneless cod fillet
- 1 ltr vegetable oil, for frying
- 12 corn tortillas
Step by step
- For the coleslaw, mix the mustard, garlic, mayonnaise, chipotle paste and lime juice together in a large bowl and season. Finely slice the red onion and cabbage, then use a julienne peeler to slice the carrot into shreds (alternatively, coarsely grate the carrots).
- Mix the sliced and shredded vegetables into the mayonnaise mixture and add the coriander leaves, reserving a few to garnish. Set aside.
- In a shallow bowl, mix the flour and spices with some seasoning. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, and tip the breadcrumbs into a third shallow bowl.
- Pat the fish dry using kitchen paper, then cut into bite-size pieces. Cut along the natural centre line of the fillet and then cut into chunks widthways; this will make sure the fish doesn't fall apart.
- Toss the fish pieces in the spiced flour to coat all over, then dip into the egg and finally cover in the breadcrumbs.
- Heat around 2cm depth of oil in a large wide saucepan or deep frying pan. Sprinkle in a few breadcrumbs to check the temperature – if they rise to the top almost instantly, you're ready to fry. If they don't, leave the oil to heat up for a little longer.
- Gently lower about 8 crumbed fish pieces at a time into the hot oil. Shallow fry for a minute or two each side, until golden brown, and drain on kitchen paper. Keep warm and repeat with the rest of the fish, in batches. Meanwhile, warm the tortillas according to pack instructions (we used a griddle pan).
- As soon as all the fish is cooked, spoon the coleslaw into the corn tortillas and add 3-4 pieces of cod per taco. Garnish with coriander and serve immediately, with lime wedges to squeeze over, if you like.