Chicken and bacon salad
Serves 2 | prep 10 mins | total time
- 4 rashers of smoked back bacon
- 2 tbsp walnut oil
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Little Gem lettuces, sliced into quarters lengthways, leaves roughly separated
- 1 avocado, roughly chopped
- 2 cooked beetroot, roughly chopped
- 350g skinless cooked chicken breast, thinly sliced
- a handful of roughly chopped walnuts
Make the dressing and store it separately in a small pot. Prepare the salad ingredients, but keep the beetroot separate so that it doesn't bleed. Add the beetroot and dressing just before eating.
- Preheat your grill to high. Grill the bacon until well cooked and a little crisp. Leave to one side to cool.
- Mix together the walnut oil, mustard, lemon juice and a little salt and pepper. Keep mixing until you have a smooth dressing.
- In a big salad bowl, toss together the lettuce, avocado and beetroot. Pour in the dressing and toss again. By now your bacon should be cool, so crumble it into the salad and mix together.
- Tip the salad onto a plate, then top with the chicken and walnuts.
The Body Coach Supermarket Dash
This simple, tasty recipe is ideal for a lunchbox. And it's not going to stink out the office like a tuna salad or leave you starving 20 minutes later, because it's full of healthy fats and protein to fuel your body.