Brie and beef baguette with beetroot jam
Serves 4 | total time
For the beetroot jam
- 250g (around 3) ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 200g (around 2) raw beetroot, peeled and coarsely grated
- 75g muscovado sugar
- 50ml red wine vinegar
For the baguettes
- 2 x 250g sirloin steaks, at room temperature
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1-2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Taste the Difference stonebake white baguettes
- salted butter, to spread, optional
- 250g Brie, thinly sliced
- a handful of rocket leaves, to serve
This recipe will give you more beetroot jam than you need. Store the leftovers in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Start by making the beetroot jam. Place the tomatoes in a food processor and blend to a pulp. Transfer to a saucepan and stir in the beetroot, sugar, vinegar and 1 teaspoon salt. Bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved, and then simmer over a medium heat for 40 minutes, uncovered, stirring now and then, until most of the liquid has evaporated. Set aside to cool completely.
- Brush the steaks with the oil and season with salt and pepper. Heat a frying pan until smoking then sear the steaks for 11⁄2 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan, spread each with mustard and rest for 5 minutes. Remove the fat and slice into thin strips.
- Preheat the grill to high. Cut the baguettes in half lengthways, open and spread with a little butter, if desired. Top two halves with the sliced steak, some beetroot jam and the sliced Brie. Place on a foil-lined tray and grill the topped halves for about 2 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Scatter over the rocket and top with the remaining baguette halves. Cut each one in 2 before serving.