Scandi rice pudding with blackberry compote
Scandi rice pudding with blackberry compoteSubscribe to Sainsbury's magazine
We've given rice pudding a Scandinavian twist with our vegan recipe served with blackberry compote
- 175g pudding rice
- 60g caster sugar
- 4 cardamom pods, slightly crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 litre unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
For the blackberry compote
- 225g blackberries
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 3 cardamom pods, seeds ground
- ½ lemon, juice
- 2 tbsp redcurrant jelly
Mix the dry ingredients in the dish, ready to add the almond milk just before cooking.
Preheat the oven to 150°C, fan 130°C, gas 2. Add the rice, sugar, spices, vanilla seeds and pod, bay leaves and a pinch of salt to a 1.5 litre ovenproof dish (20cm base diameter or square). Pour in the almond milk and sprinkle over the ground cinnamon.
Bake in the oven for 1 hour 45 minutes-2 hours. Once ready, there will be a brown skin on top of the pudding, and the rice will have swollen up and become tender.
- While the rice is cooking, put the blackberry compote ingredients in a pan and heat together gently, partially covered, for 6-8 minutes. The consistency should be slightly saucy, but without the berries collapsing completely.
Serve the rice pudding with the blackberry compote, discarding the whole spices and bay leaves as you dish up.