Mini apple and blackberry crumble pies
Prep time: 30 mins
Recipe photograph by Faith Mason
Prep time: 30 mins
See more recipes
Nutritional information (per serving)
For the sweet shortcrust pastry
- 175g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 25g icing sugar
- 100g cold unsalted butter, diced, plus extra for greasing
- 1 egg yolk
For the crumble topping
- 100g blanched almonds
- 75g plain flour
- 50g cold unsalted butter, diced
- 50g demerara sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
For the filling
- 450g Bramley cooking apples (2 medium)
- zest of 1 lemon, plus a good squeeze of juice
- 150g blackberries
- 50g caster sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1½ tbsp cornflour
Step by step
Make up to 1 day ahead. Store in an airtight container in a cool place. To reheat, put on a baking tray and bake in a preheated oven (1800C, fan 1600C, gas 4) for 10 mins to warm through. Can be frozen for up to 2 months. Heat for 20-25 minutes from frozen.
- For the pastry, whiz together the flour, icing sugar and a pinch of salt in a food processor. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Mix the egg yolk with 1 tablespoon cold water and add through the funnel, while pulsing, until the mixture comes together in large clumps (add a splash more water, if needed). Tip out onto a work surface and shape into a flat disc. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
- Use a little butter to grease a 12-hole muffin tin and line the bases with discs of baking paper. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface until 1⁄2 cm thick. Use a 9-10cm round cutter to stamp out 12 rounds. Gently press these into the muffin tin to line the base and sides. Chill for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6. Next, make the crumble topping: whiz the almonds in a food processor until chopped; remove about half and set aside. Add the flour, butter, demerara sugar, cinnamon and a pinch of salt and pulse to make a breadcrumb-like mixture. Stir in the reserved chopped almonds. Keep chilled.TipMake sure you line the muffin tin with discs of baking paper; this will make the pies much easier to release if the fruity juices bubble over during cooking.
- For the filling, peel, quarter and core the apples. Cut into 2cm chunks and transfer to a large bowl. Add the lemon zest and juice, the blackberries, caster sugar, cinnamon and cornflour. Toss together to coat.
- Spoon the filling into the chilled pastry cases, then top with the crumble mixture.
- Transfer to the oven, then immediately reduce the temperature to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the crumble is golden and the filling is bubbling up around the edges. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes then, using a round-bladed knife or dessert spoon, carefully loosen, twist and scoop out onto plates. Serve warm with crème fraîche or custard.
Small – but perfectly formed...