Cheat’s cherry Bakewell tart
Serves 8 | prep 20 mins | total time
- 1 x 375g pack ready-rolled all-butter puff pastry
- 1 medium egg white
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- pinch ground cinnamon
- 25g flaked almonds
For the topping
- 350g cherries, plus extra for decoration
- 4 tbsp Morello cherry jam from a 340g jar
- 1 x 180g pack full-fat cream cheese
- 150ml double cream
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- a few drops of Taste the Difference almond extract
- orange zest, to decorate, optional
The tart can be made and assembled up to 2 hours before serving.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, fan 200°C, gas 7. Unroll the puff pastry, leaving it on the paper, and lift onto a baking tray.
- Beat the egg white with a fork until frothy, then brush all over the pastry, making sure it doesn't drip over the edges as this may prevent the pastry rising. Prick the pastry all over with a fork. Mix the sugar, cinnamon and flaked almonds together then sprinkle over the pastry. Bake in the oven for 12 minutes until risen, crisp and golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the tray.
- Meanwhile, halve and stone the cherries. Put in a saucepan with the jam and cook for 5 minutes until the cherries soften slightly. Tip onto a plate and allow to cool.
- When the pastry is cool, whip the cream cheese, cream and icing sugar together; add almond extract to taste. Whisk with an electric hand whisk until soft peaks form; spread over the pastry. Spoon the cherry topping on the tart; decorate with the remaining fresh cherries. Scatter with orange zest, if using.
A speedy tart for indoor or outdoor eating, it can be topped with any seasonal fruits.