Berry-rich summer puddings
Serves 4 | total time
- 500g mixed berries, blackcurrants and redcurrants
- 3 tbsp elderflower cordial
- 125g caster sugar
- 8 slices crustless sliced white bread
- Extra berries
- mint leaves
- Tip 500g mixed berries, blackcurrants and redcurrants, 3 tbsp elderflower cordial and 125g caster sugar into a pan. Gently heat, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Sieve the hot fruit over a bowl.
- Line four 200ml pudding basins with clingfilm, then with crustless sliced white bread (8 slices) briefly dipped in the fruit juice – use circles for the bases (and lids) and fingers for the sides. Fill in any gaps with smaller pieces of bread.
- Divide the fruit between the basins, add bread lids and cover with clingfilm. Put a saucer on top of each pudding and a weight on each saucer.
- Chill overnight. Turn out and dust with icing sugar. Serve with extra berries, cream and mint leaves.
Some classic English puds have stood the test of time for good reason.