Herby chicken burgers with salsa verde
Herby chicken burgers with salsa verdeSubscribe to Sainsbury's magazine
Feast your eyes on our succulent herby chicken burgers with salsa verde. Using chicken instead of red meats cuts the saturated fat content
- 60g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp milk
- zest of 1 lemon, plus a squeeze of juice
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 medium red onion, ½ finely diced and ½ finely sliced
- 2 tbsp finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 x 460g pack skinless chicken breasts, roughly chopped
- olive oil, for brushing (about 2 tsp)
- 4 soft wholewheat buns, split
- 4 tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
- tomato slices, to serve
- wild rocket, to serve
For the tangy salsa verde
- 4 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tsp small capers, drained
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Put the breadcrumbs in a bowl with the milk, lemon zest, garlic, diced red onion and parsley.
Put the chicken breasts in a food processor and pulse until minced into fine pieces (be careful not to over-process to a paste though). Add to the bowl, season generously and mix well. Form into 4 large flat patties, cover and chill for 30 minutes.
Whiz all the salsa verde ingredients with a squeeze of lemon juice in a small blender or with a stick blender to a sauce. Season well.
Heat an outdoor barbecue or griddle pan. Brush each burger with 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil so they don’t stick. Season with salt and pepper. Grill for 6-8 minutes on each side or until cooked through. They will feel firm to the touch when done. Toast the inner side of the buns on the grill in the last few minutes.
Spread the buns with the mayonnaise. Place some tomato slices and rocket on the bottom. Top with a burger, red onion slices and a spoonful of salsa verde. Place the tops on the burgers and serve straight away.
Recipe by Jennifer Joyce