Sweetie birthday cake
Serves 12-14 | prep 30 mins, plus cooling | total time
For the sponge cake
- 225g Anchor® butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 225g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp milk
For the buttercream
- 200g unsalted Anchor® butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 400g icing sugar, sifted
For the filling and decoration
- 5 tbsp strawberry conserve
- 400g small sweets, such as dolly mixtures, jelly beans and chocolate buttons
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC, fan 160ºC, gas 4. Grease 2 x 20cm round sandwich tins and line the bases with baking paper.
- To make the sponge cake, place all the ingredients in a large bowl and beat together with an electric whisk for 1-2 minutes until thoroughly combined. Divide the mixture evenly between the prepared tins and gently level the surfaces.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, or until risen, golden and springy to the touch. Leave in the tins for 5 minutes then turn the sponges out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
Tip If you are vegetarian, choose sweets that are free from animal extracts.
- Meanwhile, make the buttercream. Place the butter and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric whisk until very soft. Gradually beat in the icing sugar until smooth and creamy.
- To assemble the cake, sandwich the sponges together with ¼ of the buttercream and the jam. Place on a serving plate and spread the rest of the buttercream in a thick layer around the sides and over the top of the cake, swirling with a small palette knife. Pile most of the sweets on top of the cake and scatter the rest around the base of the cake.