Lemon chiffon pavlova
Serves 8 | prep 20 mins | total time
- 4 large egg whites
- 225g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- 300ml double cream
- 100g lemon curd
- zest of 1 lemon, juice of ½ lemon, plus extra zest, to serve
- edible rose petals (fresh or dried)
Make to the end of step 3 up to three days ahead; store the meringue in an airtight container.
- Preheat the oven to 140°C, fan 120°C, gas 1. In a large, clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Gradually whisk in the sugar, then the cornflour and vinegar.
- Pile the mixture onto a baking tray lined with baking paper to form a circle 22cm in diameter. Make peaks in the meringue.
- Bake for 1 hour, then turn the oven off and leave the meringue inside until the oven and the meringue are cold – overnight is ideal.
Tip You can buy dried edible rose petals from janeasher.com (£6.95 for a jar).
- For the topping, whip the cream with the lemon curd, lemon zest and juice until it forms soft peaks. Pile it onto the pavlova and top with lots of curls of extra lemon zest and edible rose petals.