Squidgy chocolate brownies
Makes 9-12 | prep 20 mins | total time
- a drizzle of vegetable oil, for greasing
- 275g dark chocolate (check it’s gluten free), in pieces
- 5 medium eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 150g ground almonds
- a dusting of cocoa
The brownies will keep for 3-4 days in an airtight box in the fridge. To freeze, put the undusted brownies, wrapped in baking paper, in an airtight box.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Grease a 20cm square loose-bottomed tin; line the base with baking paper. Roughly chop 50g of the chocolate; set aside. Melt the remaining chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water and cool slightly.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Whisk in half the sugar, a tablespoon at a time, until you have a soft meringue. Using an electric hand mixer, beat the yolks with the remaining sugar until pale and doubled in volume.
- Fold half the meringue mixture into the egg yolk mixture, then fold in the melted chocolate and then the rest of the meringue mixture. Finally, fold in the almonds and the chopped chocolate.
- Spoon into the tin, level it and bake in the centre of the oven for 25 minutes. Turn off the oven and leave the brownies in for 15 minutes. Remove and leave to cool in the tin on a cooling rack. Cut into squares and dust with cocoa to serve.