Blackberry and apple mull
Serves 8 | prep 15 mins | total time
- 150g blackberries, plus extra to garnish
- 800ml cloudy apple juice
- 1 x 750cl bottle good-quality red wine (Merlot or Shiraz)
- 100g demerara sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 4 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 2 tbsp orange liqueur, such as Cointreau
- 1 red apple, sliced into very thin discs
- pared zest of 1 orange, to garnish
Make up to a day ahead, chill and reheat gently to serve.
- In a food processor, purée the blackberries with 200ml of the apple juice and strain through a fine sieve into a large pan, discarding the pips in the sieve.
- Add the remaining apple juice, red wine, demerara sugar, cinnamon sticks, star anise and cardamom pods.
- Heat gently, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved. Continue cooking over a gentle heat for 12-15 minutes – do not boil.
- Just before serving, stir in the liqueur. Ladle into heatproof glasses; garnish with apple slices, orange zest and a few blackberries.