Lemon treacle tart
Serves 8-10 | prep 25 mins | total time
For the base
- 250g digestive biscuits
- 125g unsalted butter, plus extra to grease
For the topping
- 60g unsalted butter
- 600g golden syrup
- 175g fresh white breadcrumbs, blitzed finely
- 4 medium egg yolks
- grated zest and juice of 2 lemons (about 60ml)
For the glaze
- 75g icing sugar, sifted
- Blend the biscuits in a food processor until you have fine crumbs. Melt the butter in a pan then pour in the biscuit crumbs and mix. Grease and base line a 20cm fluted tart tin (with a removable base). Press the crumb mixture firmly into the base and sides. Chill for at least 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 160°C, fan 140°C, gas 3.
- For the topping, put the butter and golden syrup in a pan and melt gently without boiling. Take the pan off the heat; stir in the breadcrumbs, egg yolks, lemon zest and juice, and stir well.
- Pour the filling into the biscuit case, put the tart on a baking tray and cook for 25-30 minutes or until it is firm to touch. Remove from the oven; cool completely.
- For the glaze, sieve the icing sugar into a bowl and slowly mix in about 1½ tablespoons of water until you have a smooth paste. Drizzle it all over the cooled tart.