The Hairy Bikers' lemon rice with cashews and peanuts
Recipe adapted from The Hairy Bikers' Great Curries by Si King and Dave Myers (Weidenfeld & Nicolson, £20)
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp black or yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp urad dhal (optional)
- 1 tsp chana dhal (optional)
- ¼ tsp asafoetida
- ½ small onion, very finely chopped
- 1 long green chilli, finely chopped (deseed first if you like)
- 10g root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 10 fresh or dried curry leaves
- 50g roasted unsalted peanuts
- 50g roasted unsalted cashew nuts
- 550g cooked and cooled white basmati rice (if cooking from fresh, use 300g uncooked rice)
- freshly squeezed juice of 1 large lemon, plus the zest of ½
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick sauté pan or wok. Add the mustard seeds, turmeric, urad and chana dhals, if using, and the asafoetida. Fry over a medium heat for 1 minute, stirring constantly until the mustard seeds begin to pop.
- Add the onion, green chilli, ginger, curry leaves and all the nuts. Stir-fry for a further 2–3 minutes until the nuts are lightly toasted and the onion has softened.
- Tip the rice into the pan and stir-fry for 3–4 minutes until piping hot. Pour over the lemon juice and stir in the zest. Toss together well and season with more salt and freshly ground black pepper, if necessary.