Spicy chilli tomato relish
by Sarah Alcock
We love a bit of relish in our sandwiches, whether they are store bought or the wonderful deli-style sandwiches in the October issue. This spicy tomato version is great for using up any glut of garden produce you might have. It's great served with barbecued meats and burgers, too.
Makes about 300ml
- 450g ripe tomatoes, skinned, deseeded and chopped
- 2 red chillies, finely diced (keep the seeds)
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 250g sugar
- Bubble the tomatoes, chillies, vinegar, lemon juice and tomato purée together in a medium-sized pan for 8-10 minutes. The mixture should be thick enough that when you run a spoon through it, a gap remains in the middle.
- Add the sugar and some seasoning. Stir until the sugar dissolves, then boil rapidly for 5 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into a sterilised jar, cover and leave to cool. It will keep for several weeks in the fridge.