Pumpkin seed, black treacle and ginger squares
Just want you need for Bonfire Night, these square have the flavours of bonfire toffee and Yorkshire parkin, mixed in one. Make up to a day ahead and store in an airtight container.
Makes 25 squares
- 3 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 175g butter
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- a pinch of ground ginger
- 3 tbsp black treacle
- 100g dried ready-to-eat apricots, chopped
- 250g porridge oats
- 2 balls stem ginger, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4.
- Tip the pumpkin seeds into a small baking tray and toast in the oven for 6-8 minutes; set aside to cool.
- Melt the butter, sugar, ground ginger and treacle in a large pan, stirring until melted. Take the pan off the heat.
- Tip the apricots, oats, stem ginger, 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds and a pinch of salt into the pan and stir to mix.
- Transfer the mixture to a 20cm shallow square loose-bottomed tin. Top with the remaining pumpkin seeds. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cut into squares while warm, then leave to cool in tin.