Marshmallow toffee apple cupcakes
These cupcakes are as cute as can be and full of flavour. Whip up a batch for your Halloween or Bonfire Night celebrations
- 150g soft unsalted butter
- 150g dark muscovado sugar
- 3 medium eggs, at room temperature
- 150g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 100g ready-to-eat dried apple, finely chopped
- 40g mini butterscotch chips
- For the topping: 3 medium egg whites
- 150g vanilla sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy, then beat in the eggs one at a time until well incorporated.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder with a pinch of salt; mix to combine.
- Gently stir in the chopped dried apple and butterscotch chips.
- Divide the mixture between the paper cases and bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Preheat the grill to high.
- Put the egg whites and sugar in a large heatproof bowl over a pan of barely simmering water and whisk on a slow speed for 3-4 minutes until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and continue to whisk on a higher speed for 5 minutes until the mixture is glossy and forms very stiff peaks.
- Put the cooled cupcakes on a baking sheet. Fill a piping bag fitted with a 1cm plain nozzle with the meringue mixture.
- Pipe the meringue on to the cupcakes in a swirl shape.
- Place the cupcakes under the grill for 2-3 minutes until the meringue is browned.
For a variation, try adding chopped chocolate instead of the dried apple pieces