Leek, chicken and pearl barley soup
This hearty soup is a meal in a bowl. All you'll need is some fresh crusty bread to dip in.
- 2 free-range chicken legs
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stick of celery, chopped
- a few peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 100g pearl barley
- 3 leeks, sliced
- 3 tbsp double cream
- 2 handfuls of chopped parsley
- Put the chicken legs in a medium pan with the stock, onion, carrot, celery, peppercorns, bay leaf and 650ml cold water. Simmer for 20 minutes, partially covered.
- Meanwhile, put the barley in a separate pan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then drain and rinse in cold water.
- Return the barley to the pan and cover with cold water again. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Strain the stock from the chicken, discarding the flavourings. Set the chicken legs aside.
- Drain the cooked barley and add it to a clean pan with the stock. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the leeks and simmer for a further 15 minutes.
- Shred the chicken and add the meat to the pan; discard the skin and bones.
- Warm through for 5 minutes. Season, stir through the cream and parsley and ladle into warm bowls.
Try making this soup with mini pasta shapes instead of pearl barley. Add them to the soup at step 5