James Martin's Tuscan bean stew
- 1 large onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 200g chestnut mushrooms
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 x 410g tin borlotti beans, drained
- 1 x 410g tin butter beans, drained
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 50g pine nuts
- 1 x 28g pack basil
- 1 x 60g bag ready-made croutons
- Dice the onion, crush the garlic cloves and slice the mushrooms. Heat the oil in a large nonstick pan, add the onion, garlic and mushrooms, and cook for 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add the tomato purée, beans and tomatoes, and simmer for 5 minutes. Season.
- Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts lightly over a medium heat in a dry frying pan, until golden.
- Roughly chop the basil leaves, reserving a few to garnish, then stir it into the stew.
- Sprinkle the pine nuts, croutons and reserved basil leaves over the stew. Serve with crusty bread.