Garlic mushroom and halloumi ‘burgers’
Don't miss our NEW halloumi burger recipe - made with peri peri and sweetcorn salsa!
Fed up with the same old burgers? Shake up your barbecue menu with these big-flavour buns - perfect for sharing in the sun
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- grated zest and juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus 1 tsp extra
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 portabella or large flat mushrooms
- 1 x 250g pack halloumi, cut into 8 slices
- 4 tsp chilli jelly (we used Belazu smoked chilli jelly found in the special ingredients section)
- ½ x 70g bag wild rocket
- Preheat a barbecue or griddle pan. Cut the ciabatta rolls in half, then toast, cut-side down; set aside.
- Mix the lemon zest and juice with the thyme, the 3 tablespoons of olive oil, garlic and seasoning to make a marinade.
- Griddle or barbecue the mushrooms over a moderate heat, stalk-side down for 5-7 minutes, then flip over and spoon over the marinade and continue to cook for 5-7 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a plate and keep warm.
- Drizzle the rest of the olive oil over the halloumi. Return your griddle pan to the heat and, when piping hot, add the slices of halloumi and cook for about 1 minute each side until dark golden griddle marks appear.
- Spread the base of each roll with chilli jelly. Add a couple of slices of halloumi, a garlic mushroom and a pile of rocket leaves to each one and serve.
Swap the chilli jelly for a drizzle of fresh pesto if you prefer things less spicy