Easter Sunday roast lamb
This relentless cold spell is causing havoc for our British farmers. Lambing has been a challenge this spring (what spring?) with freezing temperatures and so much snow. Many farmers have lost livestock and need our support more than ever, so buy a leg of delicious British lamb to roast this Easter Sunday.
What's your favourite lamb recipe? Tell us in the comments box below.
Roast lamb with spring vegetables and mint and caper sauce
- 2 heads of garlic, halved through the middle
- 400g echalion shallots, peeled and halved lengthways
- 1 x 2kg leg of lamb
- 50g soft butter
- 750g new potatoes, halved
- 1 bunch of spring carrots, trimmed
- 1 x 200g pack baby fennel, each sliced into three lengthways
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 150ml vegetable stock
- 3-4 tbsp crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 1 tbsp chopped tarragon
- FOR THE MINT AND CAPER SAUCE:
- 2 x 28g packs mint, leaves only
- 2 tbsp small capers
- 5-6 tbsp cider vinegar
- ½ tsp caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Scatter the garlic and shallots into a large roasting tin and put the leg of lamb on top.
- Spread the butter over the lamb and season well. Cover the lamb (and tin) with kitchen foil, then roast for 1 hour.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the potatoes, carrots and fennel in the oil with some seasoning.
- Remove the foil from the lamb, scatter the vegetables around the lamb and return to the oven for a further hour.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. Chop the mint and mix with the remaining ingredients, adding 5-6 tablespoons of water to get a spoonable consistency. Set aside.
- When the lamb is cooked, transfer it to a carving board, cover with foil and set aside to rest.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the vegetables from the roasting tin to a large serving platter; keep warm.
- Heat the roasting tin on the hob and bring the juices to simmering point. Whisk in the stock and bubble for a few minutes.
- Whisk the crème fraîche and mustard into the gravy; check the seasoning. Finally, stir in the chopped chives and tarragon.
- Carve the lamb and serve with the gravy, the mint sauce and the vegetables.