Crepes - chocolate hazelnut crepe cake
Use the crepes to make the impressive chocolate hazelnut crepe cake in our April issue, or simply enjoy with your favourite topping.
Makes 18 crepes
- 85g unsalted butter, plus 50g melted butter for frying
- 600ml milk
- 6 large eggs
- 200g plain flour
- 100g granulated sugar
- Melt the 85g of butter in a small pan over a medium heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low. When it starts to turn brown and is nutty-smelling, remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl. Let it cool to lukewarm.
- In a large jug whisk together the milk, eggs and 6 tablespoons of your cooled brown butter with a pinch of salt.
- Place the flour and granulated sugar in a large bowl. Whisk the wet ingredients in to the dry ingredients until combined. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat a medium 23cm frying pan/crepe pan over a medium heat. Brush lightly with melted butter. Pour 75ml batter into the pan, swirling until it evenly coats the bottom. Cook, undisturbed, until the bottom is golden and the top is set, about 2 minutes.
- Carefully flip and cook on the other side for 5 to 10 seconds. Repeat with the remaining batter. Transfer the finished crepes to a kitchen towel-covered plate to cool.