Chicken with orange, thyme and black olives
Serve with couscous or rice
- 4 chicken drumsticks and 4 chicken thighs
- 1 large orange, cut into 8 segments
- olive oil
- 16 black olives in oil, drained and halved
- For the marinade: finely grated zest and juice of 2 large oranges
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 heaped tsp dried oregano
- leaves from 6 sprigs of thyme
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Mix together all the ingredients for the marinade, then tip into a shallow ovenproof dish that’s big enough to hold the chicken pieces in one layer.
- Add the chicken drumsticks and thighs to the dish and toss them in the marinade until coated.
- Cover the dish with clingfilm and chill for at least 6 hours or overnight, turning the chicken in the marinade now and then if you can.
- Take the chicken out of the fridge 30 minutes before cooking. Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6.
- Scatter the orange segments around the chicken, season everything and drizzle with a little olive oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Transfer the chicken and orange segments to another dish using a slotted spoon; keep warm.
- Pour the juices into a pan. Spoon off any excess oil floating on top of the juices, then bubble on the hob for a few minutes.
- Add the olives to the juices, then pour over the chicken to serve.
To get ahead, marinate the chicken the night before. Bring to room temperature before cooking