Cherry Bakewell pudding
Fresh cherries and almonds are great flavour partners in this simple but indulgent pud.
- 900g cherries, pitted
- 2 tbsp cherry brandy (optional)
- 4-5 tbsp red cherry jam
- 1-2 tbsp sliced or flaked almonds
- cream or ice cream, to serve
- For the Bakewell topping:
- 200g soft butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 200g ground almonds
- zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Toss the cherries with the cherry brandy, if using, and jam. Tip into a shallow ovenproof baking dish, approximately 20x30cm.
- Put all of the Bakewell topping ingredients in a bowl and, using an electric hand whisk, mix them together for 2 minutes.
- Spoon the Bakewell topping over the fruit in the baking dish.
- Scatter the almonds on top of the pudding. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until risen, golden and set. Serve warm with cream or ice cream.