August's winning reader recipe - Macaroni cheese with a kick
You voted on the blog for Nikki Edwards' macaroni cheese with a kick, so here it is. Make it as a Friday night treat for friends.
If you'd like the chance to have your recipe featured on our blog, email a picture of your homemade dish and a short description to email@example.com.
What's your favourite dish to make for friends? Tell us in the comments box below.
Macaroni cheese with a kick
- 200g macaroni
- 150g mature cheddar
- 15g butter, plus extra for frying
- 15g plain flour (1 heaped tbsp)
- 250ml whole milk
- 70g cubetti di pancetta
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 25g parmesan
- TO SERVE:
- 2 tsp spicy chipotle chilli paste
- 2 tbsp soured cream
- a few Peppadew picante peppers
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, fan 200°C, gas 7. Cook the macaroni in boiling salted water according to the pack instructions. Drain and return to the pan.
- Meanwhile, grate the cheddar. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan, stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Stir in the milk, adding a little at a time until combined and smooth. Cook, stirring until the sauce has thickened. Stir in the cheddar and season.
- Fry the pancetta in a dry frying pan until crisp, remove with a slotted spoon and add the chopped spring onion; fry briefly until softened.
- Add this and the pancetta to the pan with the macaroni and pour over the sauce. Mix everything together and transfer to a small ovenproof baking dish.
- Grate the parmesan on top. Bake for 10-15 minutes until bubbling.
- Serve with a little chipotle paste, a dollop of soured cream, a few Peppadew peppers and some freshly chopped coriander.