4th July spiced chocolate pecan pie
Even if you're not from the States, 4th July is a great excuse to eat and celebrate US style!
We've put our own twist on the classic all-American pecan pie – the spices add an extra depth to the chocolaty richness. Make it for friends tonight or this weekend and serve with cream whipped with a little maple syrup (we know it's Canadian, but still) and ground cinnamon. God bless America!
What's your favourite American food? Tell us in the comments box below.
Spiced chocolate pecan pie
- 1 x 375g pack dessert pastry
- flour, for rolling out
- 150g dark chocolate (about 70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
- 50g butter, cubed
- a pinch each of ground cinnamon, ground cloves and ground ginger
- 3 large eggs
- 100g light muscovado sugar
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 200g pecan halves
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to 3mm thick and use it to line a 23cm round tart tin with a removable base.
- Line the pastry case with baking paper and ceramic baking beans (or rice), then bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove the paper and beans, return the pastry case to the oven for a further 5 minutes, then remove. Reduce the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4.
- For the filling, melt the chocolate and butter with the spices in a bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, then leave to cool slightly.
- Lightly beat the eggs with the sugar and maple syrup, then stir in the spiced chocolate mixture and a pinch of salt.
- Chop half the pecans and stir into the mixture. Pour into the tart case and arrange the remaining pecans on top.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until set. Leave to cool in the tin.
- Serve the tart barely warm or cold.