Sprouts with almonds and pancetta
Serves 6 | prep 15 mins | total time
- 600g Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 1 x 100g pack blanched almonds
- 1 x 160g pack smoked cubetti di pancetta
- 4 echalion shallots, sliced thinly
- 5 sprigs of thyme, leaves only
Blanch the sprouts up to 1 day ahead, cool and chill. Toast the almonds up to a day ahead, cool. Store in an airtight container.
- Cook the sprouts in a large pan of boiling salted water for 3 minutes. Drain, then run under the cold tap, transfer to a bowl, cover with cold water. Halve any larger sprouts.
- Meanwhile heat a dry nonstick frying pan until hot, add the almonds and fry for 2-3 minutes, tossing the pan occasionally, until toasted. Remove to a plate.
- Return the pan to the heat, add the pancetta and cook over a medium heat for 6-8 minutes, allowing the fat to render out, until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with kitchen paper, leaving the fat behind in the pan.
- Add the shallots and thyme to the pan, cook gently for 10 minutes until softened, then drain the sprouts well, add them to the pan and increase the heat. Stir-fry for 2-3 minutes until the shallots and sprouts begin to turn golden. Return the almonds and pancetta to the pan and stir-fry for 2 minutes to heat through. Season to taste and serve.