Chewy chocolate and cherry flapjacks
Makes 16 squares | total time
- 150g butter, diced
- 50g dark cooking chocolate (70% cocoa solids), chopped
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 225g dark muscovado sugar
- 75g golden syrup
- 275g porridge oats
- 2 x 75g packs dried cherries
The flapjacks keep in an airtight container for 4-5 days.
- Line a shallow 20cm square cake tin with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 160°C, fan 140°C, gas 3.
- Place the butter, chocolate, cocoa powder, sugar and syrup into a medium pan; warm gently until the butter has melted and sugar dissolved.
- Stir the oats and cherries into the melted mixture and combine well. Spread the mixture into the prepared tin and press down firmly.
- Bake for about 30-35 minutes until the mixture is bubbling and a little darker at the edges – it will still feel soft in the centre.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely in the tin. When cold, turn out, remove the paper and cut into squares. Store in an airtight container, for easy transportation to your picnic.
Everyone loves a flapjack – vary the flavour by adding raisins, pecans, ginger or cranberries instead, if you like.