Coconut cream icing
Serves 6 |
- 1 x 400ml tin coconut milk
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Thoroughly shake the tin of coconut milk and chill it in the fridge overnight or, if you're short on time, freeze for 1-2 hours (see Kitchen Secret – any longer and it will be too hard to whip).
- Carefully spoon out the coconut cream, leaving the liquid in the tin. Keep the liquid as you may need to use some to loosen the cream.
- Briefly whisk the coconut milk with the icing sugar and vanilla extract until soft peaks form.
Tip The trick to getting coconut milk to whip is using full-fat and make sure it's thoroughly mixed before freezing, as it often separates after sitting on the supermarket shelf for a while. Shaking it really vigorously for a few minutes before freezing works, but if you want to be really sure, tip the whole can into a measuring jug and blitz it together with a stick blender before covering and freezing.
- Spread on top of any cake or meringue. It keeps best for 1 day, and will turn harder after 2 days – stir to loosen.
How to make your own coconut cream icing