Sticky chicken livers on toast
Serves 4 | prep 10 mins | total time
- 4–5 slices of sourdough bread
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus more to brush the bread
- 1 tsp finely grated root ginger, plus a peeled thumb-sized piece
- 400g chicken livers, cleaned
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
- 1 tsp lightly crushed fennel seeds
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- good pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 30g butter
- 4 medjool dates, roughly slivered lengthways
- 2 fresh figs, quartered
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 baby Gem lettuce, leaves washed but left whole
- Preheat the oven to 140°C/dfan 120C/gas 1.
- Lightly brush both sides of the slices of bread with a little olive oil and toast on both sides, either in a non-stick frying pan or a griddle pan, until lightly browned, around one or two minutes each side. Rub one side of each slice well with the piece of whole ginger to flavour the bread. Set aside in the oven to keep warm.
- In a bowl, mix the livers with the seeds, garam masala, salt and black pepper, making sure they are all well coated.
- Heat the 2 tbsp of olive oil in a frying pan with the butter. Once it is foaming, add the spiced chicken livers and sauté over a medium heat for five or six minutes, turning often. (Be careful, they tend to spit.) Add the grated ginger, dates and figs with the balsamic vinegar and stir well to coat everything. Cook for a further minute.
- Remove the toasts from the oven and place on a serving plate or platter. Top each with a few Gem leaves and carefully spoon one-quarter of the livers on to each piece along with the dates and figs. Drizzle over the remaining sauce and serve.