Open lasagne with mushrooms
Serves 4 | prep 40 mins | total time
- 8 dried lasagne sheets
- ½ red pepper
- 2 x 200g packs baby button mushrooms
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 250ml double cream
- 100g baby leaf spinach
- truffle oil, to drizzle
Prepare to the end of step 3 up to 1 day ahead and chill. Add a splash of milk or vegetable stock to loosen the sauce when reheating.
- Cook the lasagne sheets in salted boiling water for 4 minutes in batches until just al dente then refresh in cold water and drain. Using a 7cm round cutter, cut out 16 discs.
- Finely dice the pepper and set aside in a covered bowl. Thinly slice 4 mushrooms, cover with clingfilm and set aside for decoration. Very finely dice 150g mushrooms for the filling and set aside, covered, in a bowl. Roughly chop the rest of the mushrooms for the sauce.
- Heat half the oil in a saucepan, add the roughly chopped mushrooms and some seasoning, cover and cook for 5 minutes on a medium heat until tender and juicy. Reserve 3 tablespoons of cream for the filling, then pour the rest into the cooked mushrooms and allow to bubble gently for a couple of minutes, partially covered with a lid. Blitz to a smooth, creamy sauce in a liquidiser and check the seasoning.
- When ready to serve, heat the remaining oil in a small frying pan and fry the diced mushrooms and red pepper for 5 minutes.
- Reserve 12 small spinach leaves for decoration, then shred the remainder and add to the mushroom and pepper mixture and cook just until the spinach wilts. Stir the reserved 3 tablespoons of cream through and season. Gently heat the sauce through in a separate pan.
- Add the discs of lasagne to a bowl of boiling water for 1 minute to warm through. Carefully remove with tongs to drain. For each serving, layer 4 discs of pasta in a shallow bowl with a little of the mushroom, pepper and spinach filling and a drizzle of warm mushroom sauce in between each layer. Fan the raw sliced mushrooms on top of each stack, and tuck in 3 spinach leaves. Pour the rest of the sauce around the outside and drizzle with truffle oil.