Summer vegetable gazpacho
- 100g slightly stale crusty white bread, torn into chunks
- 125ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 tbsp sherry vinegar (or red wine vinegar)
- 1kg very ripe tomatoes
- 2 sweet pointed red peppers, deseeded
- ½ cucumber, peeled
- 1 large garlic clove, peeled
- a handful of ice cubes, crushed
- a large handful of basil leaves, plus extra to garnish
- 1 uncooked sweetcorn cob
Step by step
- Toss the bread in a bowl with the olive oil and sherry vinegar and leave to soak while you prepare the vegetables.
- Dice 3 tablespoons each of the tomatoes, peppers and cucumber, and set aside. Roughly chop the remainder. Put the tomatoes in a blender or liquidiser and blitz until smooth. Sieve into a large bowl (to remove the pips and skin), or you can leave out this step if time is short.
- Add the soaked bread with its liquid, the roughly chopped vegetables, garlic, ice and basil to the blender. Remove the kernels from the corn, set aside 3 tablespoons for serving and add the rest to the blender with the other ingredients and some seasoning.
- Whiz the vegetables until smooth. Mix with the sieved tomatoes and season to taste. Pour into bowls, top with the reserved vegetables, finish with a few small basil leaves and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and serve immediately.