Garden pea soup
Serves 4 | prep 30 mins | total time
- 2 Little Gem lettuce hearts, shredded
- 1 cucumber, roughly chopped
- 40g butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 750ml beef stock
- 400g frozen peas
- a pinch of cayenne pepper, plus extra to dust
- a few sprigs of flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- a few mint leaves, chopped, plus extra to garnish
- Set aside about 1⁄4 of a Little Gem lettuce and a 5cm chunk of cucumber for the garnish, if you wish. Roughly shred the rest of the lettuce and chop the cucumber. Melt the butter in a large pan on a medium heat, add the onion, cucumber, lettuce and a little seasoning and cook until the onion is soft, about 6-8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the beef stock, increase the heat and bring to the boil. Tip in the peas, bring back to the boil and simmer uncovered until tender, about 5-8 minutes.
- Cool the soup slightly before blending in batches in a liquidiser. Sieve to remove the skins and to give the soup a silky smooth texture. Reheat the soup if necessary, season to taste, adding a little cayenne pepper, then stir in the chopped parsley and mint. Finely shred the reserved lettuce and dice the cucumber and use to garnish the bowls of soup, adding extra mint leaves plus a light dusting of cayenne, if you wish.