Sloe gin red cabbage
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cloves
- a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 red cabbage, cored and finely sliced, about 1.2kg
- 2 medium Bramley apples, about 300g, peeled, cored and roughly diced
- 200ml sloe gin, plus extra to serve
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 40g light brown sugar
- a few parsley sprigs to garnish (optional)
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 4. Melt the butter in a large ovenproof casserole, add the spices and cook for a minute to release the aroma. Add the onions and cook over a gentle heat for 8-10 minutes, until soft.
- Add the cabbage, apples, sloe gin, cider vinegar and sugar, plus plenty of seasoning, and cook for a few minutes, mixing well. Place a sheet of baking paper loosely over the top and place in the oven for 1-11⁄2 hours until collapsed and tender, stirring once or twice. Season to taste, add a generous glug of sloe gin, then serve. Garnish with parsley, if you like.