Sage and onion roasties
- 1kg potatoes such as King Edwards, Desirée or Rooster
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp polenta, cornmeal or semolina (use polenta or cornmeal if gluten free)
- 2 tsp onion granules
- 1½ tsp dried sage
Step by step
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6. Peel the potatoes and cut into chunks (not too big). Boil for 10-12 minutes until they are beginning to soften at the edges. Drain in a colander, shaking to roughen up the edges, and let them steam-dry for a minute or so. Tip onto a large baking tray or roasting tin and brush all over with the oil.
- Mix together the polenta, onion granules and sage plus some seasoning, then sprinkle this over the potatoes and turn to coat.
- Roast in the oven for about 40 minutes, turning once or twice as they cook, until golden brown and crisp.