Serves 8 | prep 10 mins | total time
- the meat roasting tin with its juices and vegetables
- 200ml dry white wine
- the turkey roasting tin with its juices and vegetables
- 1 x 450g tub fresh chicken stock
- 2 tbsp (50g) redcurrant jelly
- Scrape the veg and all the cooking juices from the roasting tin into a sieve set over a jug. Press to extract as much of the juice as possible, and discard the veg. Skim off any fat.
- Put the roasting tin on the hob over a direct heat, add the wine and cook over a high heat for a couple of minutes, scraping the pan to remove any sticky juices. Add the strained meat cooking juices bubble away for a few minutes, scraping up any sticky residue from the tin – stuck on juices, bits of stuffing, it's all good – until the wine loses its raw flavour. Add the stock, 100ml boiling water and the redcurrant jelly, simmer until the liquid thickens a little and tastes rich and good, about 15 minutes. Taste and season. Keep warm until needed and strain the gravy into a warm jug to serve.
Tip If yours is a gravy-loving family and you want to increase the amount of gravy, add an extra 300ml stock in step 4. Blend 2 tbsp cornflour with a little cold water, then add this to the gravy and simmer, stirring, until thickened, before seasoning.