Smoky barbecue sauce
Makes 2 x 300ml jars | prep 20 mins | total time
- 250ml orange or apple juice
- 175g light muscovado sugar
- 200ml Worcestershire sauce
- 200ml dark soy sauce
- 150ml cider vinegar
- 100g tomato puree
- 50g chilli sauce (we used Lingham's)
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp mild ready-made mustard
- a dash of Tabasco sauce, to taste
Store in a cool place or chill for up to 3 months.
- Put all the ingredients in a large pan and whisk together until smooth. Bring the mixture slowly to the boil, whisking occasionally, until the sugar is completely dissolved. Simmer for a further 20-25 minutes or until the mixture thickens and becomes syrupy.
- Pour into hot sterilised bottles, seal and label.
Tip If you don't have a preserving pan, don't worry – they're not essential. You can use a large enamelled cast-iron casserole dish instead. It needs to be about 20cm deep and wide enough to give a large surface area, to help speed up the boiling process.