Pa muchim (spring onion salad)
Serves 4 | prep 10 mins | total time
- 8 spring onions
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 3½ tsp rice vinegar
- ½ tsp crushed chilli flakes or 1 teaspoon Korean red pepper powder (gochugaru*)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
Ice and drain the spring onions a few hours ahead. Keep chilled and dress before serving.
- Thinly slice the spring onions lengthwise and put in iced water for 30 minutes, until curly and to take off some of the harsh bite.
- Whisk together the soy sauce, oil, sugar and vinegar until the sugar is dissolved to make a dressing. Mix in the chilli flakes and seeds.
- Drain and pat dry the spring onions on kitchen paper. Toss with the dressing and serve immediately.