Melon and marinated feta salad
Serves 6 | prep 20 mins | total time
- 1 small ripe Galia or cantaloupe melon
- 1 x 70g bag rocket
- a handful of basil leaves, torn
For the marinated feta
- 1 x 200g pack feta, cubed
- finely grated zest of 1 lemon (save the lemon juice for the vinaigrette)
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp dried mint or dried oregano
- 4 tbsp olive oil
For the vinaigrette
- juice of 1 lemon and 1 orange
- 1 tsp orange blossom water (we used Nielsen-Massey)
Marinate the feta the night before, cover and keep chilled.
- Start by marinating the feta. Put the feta cubes in a small bowl, add the lemon zest, spices and herbs, then pour over the oil. Toss gently to coat. Set aside for at least 1 hour for the flavours to infuse. Cover and transfer to the fridge if marinating for longer.
- Halve and deseed the melon, then cut it into large chunks, discarding the peel as you go. Arrange the rocket on a large serving plate with the melon and basil. Drain the feta through a sieve into a bowl (reserving the oil) and scatter the feta cubes over the salad.
- Whisk the remaining vinaigrette ingredients into the reserved feta oil. Drizzle all over the salad just before serving.