Easy strawberry jam
Makes About 1.25 litres | prep 15 mins | total time
- 1kg strawberries, not overripe, hulled and halved
- juice of 2 large lemons
- 1kg jam sugar
- Put all the ingredients into a bowl and stir to combine. Leave the mixture to macerate for 2 hours, which will give the fruit time to release its juices.
- Transfer the mixture to a large saucepan or preserving pan and stir over a gentle heat for 10-15 minutes until the sugar has dissolved.
- Increase the heat and bring to a rolling boil and continue to boil the jam for 8 minutes, or until it reaches setting point(see Kitchen Secret).
Tip Use the wrinkle test – put a spoonful of the hot jam on a cold saucer (that's been in the freezer for 15 minutes first), leave it for a minute, then push your finger into the jam. If it wrinkles, the jam is set.
- Leave the jam to cool for 20 minutes, then transfer to warm sterilised jars and seal with tight-fitting lids.