Serves 6 | prep 35 mins | total time 1 hr 15 mins
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, trimmed and finely sliced
- 400ml single cream
- 4 x 100g tubs white and brown crab meat, white and brown meat separated
- ½ x 28g pack flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- zest of ½ lemon, plus a squeeze of the juice
- 1 x 250g pack fresh egg lasagne sheets
- 40g Parmesan, finely grated
Prepare to the end of step 5 up to 24 hours ahead; keep chilled. Allow an extra 10-15 minutes in the oven when cooking from chilled. To freeze, prepare to the end of step 5 then cover and freeze. Defrost at room temperature for 6-8 hours and bake for the timings as if chilled.
- Heat the butter and oil in a medium pan and fry the leeks on a gentle heat with the lid on for 10-15 minutes until very soft and falling apart. Add 200ml cream to the leeks. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes until slightly thickened then stir in the brown crab meat and season well. Remove from the heat.
- In a bowl, stir the white crab meat, 100ml of the remaining cream, the parsley and lemon zest together with some seasoning and set aside. Add a squeeze of the lemon juice to the cooling brown crab and leeks.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6. Pour a kettleful of boiling water into a shallow dish or roasting tray on a heatproof surface, to be used for soaking the lasagne sheets. Put 2-3 tablespoons of the brown crab mixture in an ovenproof dish, approximately 20cm x 15cm, and spread in an even layer, then add 2-3 tablespoons of the white crab mix over the top in another layer.
- Add 1 of the lasagne sheets to the hot water for 1 minute, until soft and pliable. Scoop out with a straining spoon or tongs, drain, and add to the dish (trim if needed, to fit the dish) over the crab.
- Soften the lasagne sheets one at a time (so they don’t stick together) and repeat (you may need to replace the water after a few sheets if it cools down too quickly), layering up the brown crab, white crab mix and pasta. Do this so you have 6 layers of crab and pasta. When everything has been used up, pour over the last 100ml of the cream and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until bubbling. It is ready when a knife goes through easily when you pierce the middle. Grill for 3-4 minutes to get a really golden top, if you like.