Vegetarian bean chilli
Vegetarian bean chilliSubscribe to Sainsbury's magazine
A hearty serving of our veggie bean chilli makes the perfect winter warmer for your next gathering. Serve in a pumpkin bowl if you're celebrating Halloween
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- ½ tbsp smoked paprika
- 1½ tsp hot chilli powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 3 mixed peppers, roughly diced
- 2 courgettes, diced
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 2 x 390g cartons chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin black-eyed beans
- 1 x 400g tin kidney beans
- 1 x 400g tin butter beans
- 1 x 380g carton black beans
Heat the oil in a large casserole, and soften the onion with a pinch of salt over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes, until golden. Add the garlic, spices, cocoa powder and tomato purée and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring, until aromatic.
Mix in the peppers, courgettes, sugar, tomatoes and 250ml water.
- Tip all the beans into a colander, rinse and drain, then add to the casserole. Season and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook gently for 25 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Serve in a hollowed-out pumpkin (or straight from the casserole).
Tip Serve with toppings, such as lime-spiked avocado, tortilla chips, pickled jalapenos, soured cream, grated cheese, coriander and lime wedges.