Spicy prawn and vegetable pilau
Serves 4 | total time
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 red pepper. deseeded and cut into short strips
- 2 carrots, coarsely grated
- 2 tbsp Pilau Rice Seasoning (Shwartz or Barts)
- 250g basmati rice
- 600ml hot fish, vegetable or chicken stock (using a cube is fine)
- 150g frozen peas
- 2 x 180g packs raw king prawns
- 1 x 28g pack coriander, finely chopped
- lime halves, to serve
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and add the onion. Fry for 3 minutes then add the pepper and carrots and cook for 2 minutes more until the vegetables are starting to soften.
- Sprinkle in the pilau rice seasoning, stir in the rice and cook for 1-2 minutes. Season well.
- Stir in the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the peas and prawns, re-cover the pan and cook for a further 5 minutes, still on a low heat, or until the prawns are cooked through.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork and stir through the chopped coriander. Serve immediately, with lime halves to squeeze over.