Boxing Day bubble and squeak
Serves 8 | prep 25 mins | total time
- 1kg potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 400g Brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 300g roast potatoes
- 200g roast parsnips
- 200g cooked carrots, or mashed carrot and swede
- 100g cooked chestnuts
- 200g stuffing, crumbled
- 6 tbsp bread sauce
- 75g butter, plus extra to grease
Cook the potatoes and sprouts a couple of days ahead and chill. The bubble and squeak can be assembled and chilled the day before cooking.
- On Christmas Eve, cook the potatoes and sprouts separately in pans of salted boiling water; boil the potatoes for 15-20 minutes until tender, then drain. Cook the sprouts for 4 minutes until just cooked, refresh in cold water and drain well. Cool, cover and chill in the fridge.
- When you're ready to make the bubble and squeak, preheat the oven to 220°C, fan 200°C, gas 7. Break up the boiled potatoes into a large bowl. Roughly chop the sprouts, roast potatoes, parsnips, carrots and chestnuts and add to the bowl along with the stuffing and bread sauce. Mix well, adding plenty of seasoning.
- Grease a couple of medium roasting tins generously with butter and press the bubble and squeak mixture firmly into the tins. Dot the butter evenly over the top. Cook in the oven for 40 minutes or until the surface is golden brown and crisp at the edges, and the bubble and squeak is piping hot.