Vietnamese roast chicken
Serves 4 | prep 15 mins | total time
- 1.9-2kg chicken
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 lime, zested, then quartered (reserve the zest)
- a few garlic cloves, lightly squashed
- 1 lemongrass stalk, chopped
- a few slices of ginger
- a handful of roughly chopped coriander leaves
For the coconut sauce:
- 1 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 2 shredded kaffir lime leaves
- 2 deseeded finely chopped red chillies
- 1 x 250ml carton coconut cream
- Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan 180°C, gas 6. Stuff the cavity of the chicken with the kaffir lime leaves, lime quarters, squashed garlic cloves, chopped lemongrass and a few slices of ginger.
- Roast the chicken in a roasting tin for 1 hour 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the ingredients for the coconut sauce.
- Transfer the chicken to a board and drain the excess fat from the tin, leaving all the sticky residue behind.
- Put the tin on the hob and add the coconut mixture, bubble for a few minutes before stirring in the reserved lime zest and chopped coriander.
- Carve the chicken and serve with the coconut sauce.