Serves 4 | prep 10 mins | total time
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika, thyme and garlic spice mix
- 800ml hot vegetable stock
- a small pinch of saffron
- 250g Spanish paella rice
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 x 280g jar Italian chargrilled peppers antipasto (yellow and red), drained and sliced
- 200g mixed asparagus, sugarsnaps and Tenderstem
- ½ x 28g pack flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Heat the oil in a large deep, lidded sauté pan or paella pan. Add the onion, cover and cook for 5 minutes until soft. Stir in the smoked paprika spice mix.
- Add a little stock to a bowl with the saffron; leave to infuse for a minute. Add the rice to the pan and stir well. Increase the heat, pour over the saffron water and the rest of the stock. Finely grate in the zest from half the lemon. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in the sliced peppers and mixed veg, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes until just tender.
- Remove from the heat, add a good squeeze of lemon (from the zested half) and most of the parsley, stir with a fork and season to taste. Cover and leave to stand for 2 minutes.
Tip If you’d like this to be a gluten-free recipe, please ensure your stock is guaranteed gluten-free.
- Scatter with the remaining parsley and serve with the remaining lemon half, cut into wedges to squeeze over.