Tomato and pearl barley risotto with feta
Serves 4 | total time
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 300g pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- 2 x 400g tins Taste the Difference cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 x 28g pack basil, chopped, and a few leaves reserved for garnish
- 1 x 200g pack vegetarian feta cheese
- rocket leaves, to serve
- salad, to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Add the pearl barley, tinned cherry tomatoes, tomato purée, sugar and chopped basil. Fill both of the empty tomato tins with water and add this too. Stir well, cover and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring from time to time, for 20- 25 minutes until the pearl barley is tender.
- Crumble the feta into the risotto and season to taste. Serve in bowls, topped with some rocket and the whole basil leaves, and with a salad on the side, if you like.