Super-green halloumi omelette
- 15g butter
- 100g button mushrooms, halved
- 50g cooked chestnuts, sliced (optional)
- 50g spinach
- ½ x 30g pack basil
- 3 medium eggs
- 25g light halloumi, coarsely grated (or other vegetarian cheese of your choice)
Step by step
- Heat half the butter in a small nonstick frying pan. Add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt and fry over a medium-high heat for 3 minutes until golden brown. Stir in the chestnuts, if using, and cook for 1 minute, then tip out onto a plate.
- Meanwhile, whiz together the spinach, most of the basil and the eggs to a bright green omelette mixture, using a hand blender or a liquidiser. Season.
- Melt the rest of the butter in the omelette pan and swirl around to coat. Pour in the omelette mixture, then use a wooden fork or spatula to start pulling the cooked mixture from the sides of the pan to the middle, tipping the uncooked egg mixture around to fill the gaps. Cook until the omelette has almost set.
Sprinkle on the cheese, then add the mushrooms and chestnuts and the rest of the basil leaves. Fold in half and gently tip out onto a warmed plate. Eat immediately.TipSlim it down
Replace the halloumi with a light sprinkling of finely grated Parmesan; the strong flavour means you can use much less of it.
Bulk it up
Serve with thick-cut toast on the side.