Spicy chicken and grains
Spicy chicken and grainsSubscribe to Sainsbury's magazine
This spicy chicken bowl has a Mexican flavour thanks to the chipotle chilli paste. Make it veggie by swapping the chicken for chargrilled halloumi
Nutritional information (per serving)
- 4 skinless and boneless chicken thigh fillets
- 2 tsp rapeseed oil
- 3 large carrots, coarsely grated
- ¼ red cabbage, shredded finely
- 1 x 30g pack coriander, roughly chopped
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 ripe medium avocado
- 1½ tsp chipotle chilli paste, or to taste
- 2 tbsp light mayonnaise
- 2 x 250g pouches cooked grains of your choice
- Put the chicken thighs between 2 pieces of clingfilm or baking paper, then bash out to roughly 1cm thick – you want them to be quite thin so they cook quickly and get nicely charred. Rub the chicken with the oil and seasoning. Get a griddle pan or large frying pan searing hot. Cook the chicken for 3-4 minutes on each side until cooked through, in 2 batches if necessary. Let them rest for a few minutes before slicing.
- Meanwhile, mix the carrot, cabbage and most of the coriander with half the lime juice and seasoning. Roughly mash the avocado with the remaining lime juice and season to taste. Stir together the chipotle paste and mayonnaise with a splash of water to create a dressing. Reheat the grain pouches following pack instructions.
- Divide the grains between 4 bowls. Top with the red cabbage slaw, smashed avo and sliced chicken. Drizzle over the chipotle mayo to serve. Sprinkle with the rest of the coriander.
Tip Make it veggie
Chargrill sliced halloumi to use in place of the chicken
Slim it down
Use chicken breasts instead of thigh fillets