Spiced Moroccan chicken
Serves 4 | prep 20 minutes | total time
- 1 whole 2kg chicken
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp rose harissa paste, or 1 chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp ras-el-hanout
- 500g Charlotte potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- Rind of 1 lemon, finely grated
- 300ml chicken stock
- Preheat the oven to 220°C, fan 200°C, gas 7.
- Spray the chicken generously with Lurpak® Cooking Mist, squeeze over the lemon juice and season to taste. Place the chicken into a large roasting tray, breast-side down, and roast for 20 minutes.
- Mix the rose harissa paste, or chopped chilli, and ras-el-hanout in a small bowl. Remove the chicken from the oven, turn it over and coat with the spice mixture. Add the potatoes to the roasting tin, along with the cinnamon stick, bay leaf, star anise and lemon rind and pour in the chicken stock.
- Reduce the oven to 180°C, fan 160°C, gas 3 and roast the chicken for 1½ hours, or until the juices run clear.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and cover lightly in foil, drain off the reserved juices into a jug and return the potatoes to the oven for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.